The front door is considered the “mouth of chi” where positive energy enters your home, and the foyer is the first room this positive energy gets to visit. It’s the most up-front room in your home, but it’s either ignored or made the dumping place for shoes, backpacks, purses, and shopping bags. That’s why it’s important to pay attention to how you arrange your foyer, the paint color you choose, and the artwork you hang on the walls.
If your home doesn’t have a natural foyer, create one by placing plants or furniture at right angles to the door. And even if you don’t enter your home through the front door on a daily basis, it’s still important to treat this area with respect.
- Avoid placing a mirror directly across from the front door because it reflects the good energy right back out. Instead, hang a mirror on a side wall to reflect in more light.
- Hang art that makes you feel positive when you leave each morning and welcomed back home each night. Images of gently flowing water are good, but make sure the water is flowing in toward your home not out toward the door. Avoid images of snow or ice because they represent frozen wealth. The foyer is also an excellent place for a fountain.
- Avoid keeping suitcases in the foyer because this represents constantly being on the move, or storing shoes in your foyer, which symbolizes walking away from a peaceful life at home. Instead, keep shoes and travel gear in the closet or in a closed cabinet.
- Choose an oval or round rug and avoid a long runner, especially if your front door lines up with the back door. Doors that line up pull the energy out of your house, and a long runner will accentuate the problem.
- Paint your walls a neutral color to brighten up the space and make it welcoming. Avoid colors like red and dark purple in the foyer. These are Fire Element colors that don’t belong in the front of a home because they “extinguish” the flow of wealth.
Thank you for the inspiration, Carol, as we all open up life to more new and incredible experiences!!! xoxo Dana
And, if you want to dive in to your own personalized feng shui in a modern, practical way, Say hello to Feng Shui 101. Its the guide I made for you to create your own personalized feng shui at home, in the office, wherever you may be… in 8 weeks. It’s not filled with strict rules or what you “must” do. Its filled with information, questions, exercises and even videos and classes to help you confidently create amazing spaces with killer feng shui and live with more flow. Learn more about the 8-week feng shui adventure & grab your copy to get started right HERE… And, as always, please let me know what happens!