Scent is as specific as a fingerprint.
We even discern people by their scent, we’re attracted by scent and also we’re imprinted in our memories by scent.
We also overlook the power of scent- beyond the basics like perfume- in daily life quite often.
I just read a synopsis of a study done by Rockefeller University on the power of scent and our abilty to discern between scents. As it turns out, we are capable of distinguishing an estimated trillion scents.
Yes, one trillion!
In the Discover article Sense of Smell is a Million Times More Accurate Than We Thought, April Reese writes:
“While scientists had assumed the average person could distinguish among about 10,000 smells, the Rockefeller study puts that number way, way higher, at 1 trillion unique scents…..
and goes on to explain
…The new study, published this week in the journal Science, puts the nose far above the eyes and ears in its powers of discernment: researchers estimate we can see between 2.3 million and 7.5 million different colors, and we can hear about 340,000 tones.” (you can read the whole piece HERE)
Now: how does this relate to your life?
In a trillion ways…literally!
Scent is so powerful, and you can use this sense to shape space and influence life in measurable, memorable, amazing ways!
- You can designate very specific sents for different activites, like fresh mint tea for focused work during the day, and perhaps a drop of peppermint essential oil in sparking water for a beach refreshing drink. Two kinds of mint for two different occasions.
- You can decide on a signature scent that you wear and wear it exclusively, even having it blended for you.
- You can use certain scents in candles for different parts of the year and different occasions.
- You can actually plant a garden that brings a specific mix of fragrance to you when you walk out to tend it.
- You can cook childhood foods to time-travel with scent, launching yourself back to old memories.
- Speaking of memory, you can study while wearing a scent and put it on before an exam to reinforce your memory.
Because we have such a keen abilty to distinuish fragrance, capitalizing on this ability by using NATURAL and phthalate-free fragrance in your life in different ways can add a layer of harmony to your days that you may have never before imagined.
And, of course, aromatherapy oils have particular chemical components that have a powerful neurological effect on us, as well as reported physical and even metaphysical effects. You can learn more about how to use essential oils in simple and powerful ways right HERE.
Scent is invisible architecture!
How can you bring more natural fragrance to your own life?!
And, if you want to dive in to your own personalized feng shui in a modern, practical way, Say hello to Feng Shui 101. Its the guide I made for you to create your own personalized feng shui at home, in the office, wherever you may be… in 8 weeks. It’s not filled with strict rules or what you “must” do. Its filled with information, questions, exercises and even videos and classes to help you confidently create amazing spaces with killer feng shui and live with more flow. Learn more about the 8-week feng shui adventure & grab your copy to get started right HERE… And, as always, please let me know what happens!