What are you waiting for?
Abstract question, isn’t it. I tend to answer this question in blurry detail like a watercolor painting, somewhat diffuse and, yet, colorfully. Usually I say… I am putting together, “x,y,z” project and planning “x,y,z” events and all sorts of other things and, I am just in the stage of “preparing.”
What I really mean to say, not very elegantly, is that I am putting off whatever I don’t know enough about because I am freaking out about it and overwhelmed by it and would rather go for a run or sleep or do anything else.
But that is not OK. And good friends know to remind me that I can’t put things off and pretend that I am “preparing.”
Are you “preparing” to do things, when what you are really doing is just stalling?
This one’s for you! (& me!)
Of course, there is nothing more daunting when launching a new professional endeavor, or making big life decisions, or starting a new health routine than the period where you just don’t know exactly what you are doing.
Start with what you know.
Some form of this set of steps has helped me immensely to stop “artfully waiting” to begin things:
1. Write down everything you can do right now to accomplish what needs to be done based on what you already know. I bet the list is longer than you think. Write another little list (or a big one) of all the things you don’t know. Now: for this list write down where you can find what you need to know, who you can ask for guidance and what you can practice as you go.
2. Set a deadline that is realistic. If you don’t create a time that is set in stone, you may let it drag on forever! THIS piece in Forbes explains the history of the word deadline (quite serious!) and why you should take deadlines seriously. The only real way that deadlines work is when there are consequences to not meeting the deadline. If you will be homeless by the end of the month if you do not find a new home, you will find one! While the consequences don’t need to be that serious, they will only be met if you set them.
Also, beyond setting a deadline… remember what it is that you get when you finish what you have to do. The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is very compelling!
3. Breathe. Breathe a whole lot. Timothy A. Pychyl, Ph.D. writes in Psychology Today about the importance of breathing through the desire to just escape from things you don’t want to do, and put things off for longer:
“When you feel that “freaking out” feeling around a task because it’s too difficult, overwhelming, frustrating, boring and just generally aversive, then it’s time to breathe. Yes, just breathe.
Breathe in deeply and mentally count “one.” Breathe out slowly and mentally count “two.” Breathe in deeply and mentally count “three.” Breathe out slowly and . . . you see the pattern. Continue to ten. You’re still in your seat. Most likely the panic, fear, overwhelming feelings are lessened so your rational mind has a chance to take over again.
Now, just get started on some part of the task at hand. Be prepared to breathe and count again. You never really know when those ugly feelings will surface, but you’re prepared.” (you can read the whole article HERE)
4. Be consistent. I tell this to all my clients clearing clutter from a disorganized home. Consistent, daily clutter-cleaning is much more powerful than one day of being overwhelmed by clutter in a week. You are less likely to become overwhelmed if you do consistent clutter clearing daily until you get to the end.
If you are putting off a big project, event or anything else, consistently working on it (even 30 mins a day to start!) will help you build momentum and keep you from becoming overwhelmed.
5. Ask for help. I’ve learned to ask for/hire lots of help and seek out advice. No one is alone in this globally-linked world… so please don’t feel like you are!
What’s your secret for getting beyond the cloudy swirls of procrastination? Please share if you have a good one!
P.S.: If you’re excited about creating more expanded abundance, The Cash Camp is coming soon and the free 3-video series is packed with energy-opening feng shui magic! They start now, they’re up for just a few weeks, and you can get ’em right HERE!
And, if you want to dive in to your own personalized feng shui in a modern, practical way, Say hello to Feng Shui 101. Its the guide I made for you to create your own personalized feng shui at home, in the office, wherever you may be… in 8 weeks. It’s not filled with strict rules or what you “must” do. Its filled with information, questions, exercises and even videos and classes to help you confidently create amazing spaces with killer feng shui and live with more flow. Learn more about the 8-week feng shui adventure & grab your copy to get started right HERE… And, as always, please let me know what happens!