One of the more emotional uproars I hear from clients and readers has to do with removing the beloved television from the bedroom. “But…You don’t understand… I need this to sleep…”
You definitely don’t need a TV to sleep. If we did need TV to sleep, we would have been extinct as a species long before the TV was invented! That said, I understand that we all have emotional connection to routines. I thought perhaps if I shed a little more light on the TV/ Bedroom situation you may rethink it for yourself!
Why you might consider taking the TV out of your bedroom…
1. TV can be hypnotic. And not hypnotic in a positive way. Frequent TV watching can cause frontal lobe development issues in kids. In adults, it acts as a form of brainwashing. It’s no wonder that binge TV viewing is on the rise, as people cram their addictions into blocks of time on Hulu, Netflix and the like, shutting out the world. I have binge watched TV, and the affects are not fun.
2. What is your life about if the first thing you see when you wake up is a TV ? I am going to leave that question open-ended and let you decide!
3. TV late at night interrupts your sleep cycles. Actually, so does the Internet! From Dr Oz’s blog, Kulreet Chaudhary, M.D. writes: “Both of these activities are stimulating to the mind and significantly impair the secretion of melatonin due to the strong light they emit.” We need restful sleep for our immune system, our overall health, our mental well being and even our genetic expression!
4. TV blocks intimacy. You know, this is where I get the most push-back from people. If you are sleeping with a TV, well, that’s not really promoting conversation with a partner… or sex. In fact, some studies have shown that couples with TV in the bedroom overall (*this may not be you) have sex 50% less than those without a TV in there. Hm. That’s a compelling amount of less sex!
5. TV emits EMF rays. Even if the TV is off but plugged in, it is emitting EMF rays. EMF rays can cause nervous system and autoimmune problems, anxiety, sleep disorders and… well, it’s not good. You can read more about limiting exposure to EMF rays right HERE.
So, we’ve covered your sleep, your heath, your mental well-being, your sex life, intimacy and love. Is there anything else I can say to convince you that a TV can go in another room of your home?! Wishing you tons of wellness! xoxo Dana
And, if you want to dive in to your own personalized feng shui in a modern, practical way, Say hello to Feng Shui 101. Its the guide I made for you to create your own personalized feng shui at home, in the office, wherever you may be… in 8 weeks. It’s not filled with strict rules or what you “must” do. Its filled with information, questions, exercises and even videos and classes to help you confidently create amazing spaces with killer feng shui and live with more flow. Learn more about the 8-week feng shui adventure & grab your copy to get started right HERE… And, as always, please let me know what happens!