Its a true story: I lug a gallon of white vinegar home at least once a month from the grocery & recycle them more often than I could have ever imagined. White vinegar has become indispensable in my house. It does so many things so well from cooking to cleaning that you almost can’t justify being without it!
Here are some of my favorite ways to use white vinegar. I’ll be as scientific as I can, though a splash is sometimes a splash!
1. Carpet Cleaning. I’ve blogged this before in detail, but my hard-won solution to pet paws on carpet is 10 parts water to one part white vinegar in my carpet steamer. Kills mites and other gross stuff as well as germs without strange antibacterial additives. The vinegar smell fades fast as the carpet dries and there is no detergent residue or chemical gunk left over.
2. While I don’t have a microwave, I have been keen on putting microwave-safe bowls of water mixed with white vinegar into friend’s microwaves and pressing the one-minute button. you can easily wipe all the gunk inside the microwave off with a towel in no time.
3. Toilet cleaning = a few cups of white vinegar in the toilet for a few hours. Sprinkle a handful of baking soda in after it has been sitting for a while, watch the toilet bubble up like a volcano, scrub the sides and you are done!
4. Your cut flowers in a vase may last longer with a few teaspoons of white vinegar and one spoon of sugar in their vase.
5. Straight vinegar, undiluted, can act as a non-toxic ant repellent.
6. Next time you make hard boiled eggs, add a spoon of white vinegar to the water to save the integrity of any eggs that may crack.
7. After chopping onions, you can rub your hands with some white vinegar before washing to remove the deep-seated onion smell.
8. Clean your retainer or Invisalign braces in a solution of 1/4 vinegar, 3/4 water and a spoon of baking soda. this will erupt in bubbles, so mix over the sink!
9. Your old coffee machiene can get refreshed by running a cycle through without coffee grounds, adding about 1/4 cup of white vinegar to the machine.
10. Wash your windows with a simple solution of half water and half vinegar in a spray bottle. If this is not getting things clean enough for your liking, try adding a squirt of castile soap to the mix. PS: use crumpled newspaper to do the window washing and score ultra eco-points while creating a streak-free finish.
11. When my wine glasses look hazy, I wipe them wit ha sponge loaded with vinegar and water, then rince.
12. On that note, about once every few days I soak my dish sponges overnight in 1/4 cup vinegar to a medium sized bowl of water, and add a pinch of baking soda. They last twice as long after rinsing them in the morning.
13. Icky bathtub rings get squirt with your vinegar-based window cleaner (#10) and then I sprinkle some baking soda on a sponge and wipe away the grime in seconds.
14. An ingenious wallpaper remover: heat up a solution of half white vinegar and half water. Roll it onto walls with a paint roller.
15. My puppy dog bowls get soaked in vinegar and water at least once a week, with a sprinkle of baking soda for good measure.
I’m sure you have some great vinegar ideas….Please share below!
If you are a feng shui tip lover and want to get even juicer info, jump on teleseminars with me, and get an inside-line on all sorts of other fun stuff to help you design your dream life, join my special list right HERE. And, if you are ready to take it to the next level & design your dream life with me, you can work with me one-on-one online or in-person to make the big moves!
Always, I love hearing from you! xoxo Dana