Feng Shui Q & A: Wanting The Perfect Bedroom

A reader asked the feng shui question: “I want the feng shui in my bedroom to be just right. As I live with my parents my bedroom is the only room in the house which I can design as I want. So I was winding how would I design my room to ensure optimum success in all areas of my life, such as, love, career, abundance, etc. I’d love any suggestions.”

My answer:

Lets start with this assurance at the get-go: there is no such thing as perfect, one-size-fits-all feng shui because it is based on your personal experience of space, so, you will get your bedroom looking and feeling just right… for you!

Now, since you live with your parents and this room is your only room exclusively, you can set up this room according to the bagua map, aligning the bottom of the grid to the wall that contains the entrance door.  That will give you a sense of what spaces in the room traditionally correspond to each area of your life (love, career, abundance, etc). You can go crazy trying to make each section perfect, but you will miss the point of an integrated, functional space.

Three guidelines to follow for optimum everything, as the sheer bedroom basics: no clutter, lots of great lighting, nothing broken, shabby or unravelling (like wires)… From there you can look at bed placement, and there are some posts in Feng Shui 101 that can help a with this as a guideline. And you can choose colors that enhance your life and light up your goals (again, personal and takes a bit of digging to find what is best for you, though skin tones are best overall for bedrooms as a general rule!)… Also, look for ways (non-ceiling-affixed fans, open windows) to enhance circulation, and find some natural scents to fill the air with more of your personality (no perfume in bedrooms , not very good feng shui).

Hopefully these jumping-off points will get you going! I am, as we speak, finally editing and writing the last words of my DIY feng shui manual so that you can really get much deeper into different topics in feng shui and immediately apply them to your home.  For now, work on the above; it will keep you busy!

************

If you are a feng shui tip lover and want to get even juicer info, jump on teleseminars with me, and get an inside line on all sorts of other fun stuff to help you design your dream life, join my special list right HERE.   xoxo Dana

jhoey November 11, 2012 at 1:03 am

Hi Dana,

I just posted a question after i found this article. If I am renting a box room which has a ceiling fan, how do I position my bed if the door is situated on the “self side”, window is on the “fame side” and a small closet room on the “compassion side” which has a door to it.

danaclaudat November 12, 2012 at 12:04 am

Ok, I’m not sure where the entrance to the room is, but I would say pick the wall which gives you a clear view of the entrance door and does not have any bathrooms behind it (preferrably) as a basic rule. Also, don;t run the ceiling fan at night 🙂

Ashlee November 22, 2012 at 4:56 am

I just found your site and this article and both have been a tremendous help to me! I too, live at home with my parents so I’m confined to a small space. My twin-sized bed is already placed in its power position but one problem – there are 4 wave-shaped mirror tiles from Ikea that run the length of the bed and they are absolutely impossible to move without damaging the paint (and the peace between me and parents). I attempted to cover it with a sheer curtain, but it clashed with the sheer floor to ceiling curtains I have hanging from my window. Do you have any tips for me? Thanks!

Ashlee November 22, 2012 at 5:05 am

P.S. – I cannot see myself in the mirror when in a resting position, only when I’m sitting up in the bed.

danaclaudat November 22, 2012 at 10:01 pm

can you send me a pic of what you mean? It might not be so bad… though mirrored tile is not top on my list of favorite things it could still be ok!!! oh, and let me know if you have trouble sleeping or other troubles 😉 xx

Michaela December 13, 2012 at 4:29 am

This is so perfectly timed, I’m about to move into a studio apartment and will be needing help figuring out where to put everything.

Question: is it too much “career” in one area if I put my desk for my home office in the “self/career” area? (the entrance door is in the wisdom/self-knowledge zone)?

danaclaudat December 13, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Nope. And don’t get too literal about the bagua- it makes living really inorganic 😉

Elham August 4, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Hi Dana,
I have read about the Bagua grid and I get the concept.
I am, however, not clear how to place objects according to grid?
Do specific objects that represent the concept of each block should be placed in the designated area, or it does not matter as long as the space has them?
I am working on a bedroom and any tip would be appreciated.
Also, for each section of the grid, can you please give some examples of the relevant objects?

Regards

danaclaudat August 5, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Hi, you can use the grid to get a better sense of what is happening and what is represented in each area of your house. It is a great diagnostic tool to see how your home is mirroring your life. If you’d like to know deeper specifics, you can poke around through posts on the blog or grab a copy of the Feng Shui 101 guide that goes deeper into each area. I am afraid I’d have to write you a whole new book to answer this part of your question adequately! 🙂 xoxo

Kooslee October 10, 2013 at 3:52 am

Hi,

Will you please clarify for me if the bottom of the grid should be align with my bedroom’s door side or the house front door side? Thank you so much.

danaclaudat October 11, 2013 at 5:22 pm

BOTH! You can look at the overall floor plan from the front door, and you can make adjustments room-by-room based in each room entrance door!