Feng Shui Q & A: Black & White Bedrooms?

Decorpad

A reader asked the question: ” So I’m in the midst of redecorating my bedroom, and I was wondering if you had a list of dos and don’ts! Everything is mostly black and white, so I was wondering if you had any ideas on how to add some color into the equation without it looking completely out of place.”

My answer:

Black and white is a very graphic and “energy-filled” combination, which is hard on your eyes and your restfulness.  That said, black is water element & white is metal element in feng shui.  Water & metal elements compliment on another energetically. You are right that this is not enough to make a room feel complete.

In my mind, adding neutrals (yes, neutrals, cream, beige, all sorts of deeper yellows) will be more grounding. Make sure to add a splash of fire (red, orange, purple, pink, neon) and a bit of wood (maybe wooden furniture, images of flowers, etc, etc) to maintain a balanced room.

************

If you have a feng shui question that you’d like answered, please join me on Facebook or Tumblr to join the forums of question-askers!  I do my best to answer every single general (and sometimes specific) question I receive!

And, if you are ready to design your dream life, you can always work with me one-on-one online or in-person to make the big moves!

Always, I love hearing from you! xoxo Dana

debbie hale August 11, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I totally disagree. I find black and white very relaxing if there is a lot of natural light in the room.

danaclaudat August 11, 2012 at 9:02 pm

This may be your particular need- a more stimulating visual space. The black & white combination is a push-pull on the eyes so by its nature it is biologically, physiologcally stimulating. Some patterns may be rhythmic and soothing. You may also be someone who needs lots of water & metal energy (very cerebrally focused, highly aesthetic and craving introspection)… That’s why personalized feng shui is so cool- its not a one-size-fits-all equation. 🙂

vicky September 22, 2015 at 7:23 pm

why can’t you use cool colors in a bedroom? Iv been redecorating my room and subconsciously everything is becoming cool and all the colors are white grey black and wanting to add red the bedding has a strange hint of green. everything is cool colors.. now iv read feng shui tips and i feel i need to change everything… since everything in my bedroom is cool. I was wondering why im so drawn to cool colors i feel peaceful this way.. i want to change to warm tones since its the way its done in bedrooms but now i have to redo everything and im just not drawn to warm colors at all. i think cool colors and just adding a red wall which i guess is warm color wont be enough? too harsh? what would you suggest.. if im so drawn to cool colors water and metal should i just stick with it or try to balance it out.. also is there a cheap way that i can work with what i have and just add a hint of other tones? though i already have candles and wood sidetables and wood headboard.. any suggestions? im completely uninterested when i look at a warm bedroom fengshui but thats the way its supposed to be..?

danaclaudat September 30, 2015 at 11:42 pm

if you really feel right in cool tones they may balance you and be moe right for you. i am a hot-running (fire) person and I have loads of blue in my bedroom but its atypical… yet works for me. largely its the other way around for people, needing more earth and fire 🙂

gerardina August 16, 2012 at 12:54 am

just wanting to know if you have any idea on where that grey and white lace print in the background of your first image is from?

danaclaudat August 16, 2012 at 5:22 am

I don’t but its totally amazing!