Feng Shui Q&A: What Is The Right Way To Use The Bagua Map?

Carol Olmstead's bagua map, sent to me by a reader.

Readers ask questions about the bagua map- the map in feng shui that helps you to see what areas of a space correspond to certain areas of a business or a life- constantly.  Today we have a great question sent in by a reader about how to actually line up the bagua map in a home properly.  I included this specific bagua map sent in by the reader.  If you look on the Internet, there are many different maps and it can get very confusing; Carol Olmstead‘s map above is “Dana-Approved”, meaning if you read my blog and understand my approach, this map is easy to read and understand. Ok, now to answer this awesome question & get you using the bagua map correctly today!!!

Your Question: This time I have a “feng-shui” question about the bagua map! Two of my feng shui books give two very different descriptions of how to use it. One says I always have to put the #1 “water” sector on the place at my home’s map where the front door is, the other book says the “fame” or “fire” always has to be in the south and the placement of bagua above your house’s plan doesn’t depend on the placement of the front door. Which use of the bagua is correct? Thanks in advance!

My Answer: To start off, worth noting that the bagua map is not a major tool of Pyramid School feng shui as to use it as a primary tool takes the individual nature of each person’s needs in a place out of the equation, leaving a “template” to do all of the work for you. That being said, the bagua map is both a very good diagnostic tool and a good jumping off point for detecting what is the actual ”problem area” in a space as it correlates to what you are working on manifesting in your life.

Feng shui books out there, for the large part, strongly emphasize the bagua or assign it to other purposes (numbers/numerology, chinese astrology, etc) that I don’t use in Pyramid School Feng Shui.  I work with connected people to places directly rather than through other, more trancendental means. If you want to use a bagua to get a sense of what’s happening in your home, align the bottom row of the bagua to the wall where your front door is located. Everything else will fall into place.

If you are “missing” areas, (in other words, your floor plan may be U shaped, L-shaped or another irregular geometric shape),  then you have to know a bit more about both your home and your personal feng shui to see where the missing areas are and how they can “fold into” the main part of your floorplan. Nothing is ever truly “missing”, but, rather, you will experince it differenty as it will double back upon the area beside it.  I know that may sound confusing. I studied baguas for many years. If you find you have a problem using it on your entire home, try looking at your home room by room to apply the bagua to each room to start, as that is how you experience spaces most directly unless you live in a loft!  This can be a good jumping off point to get a look at your space bagua-style.

************

If you have a feng shui question that you’d like answered, please join me on Facebook orTumblr to join the forums of question-askers!  I do my best to answer every general (and sometimes specific) question I receive!

And, if you are ready to design your dream life, you can always work with me one-on-one online or in-person to make the big moves!

Always, I love hearing from you! xoxo Dana

Rachel September 2, 2012 at 12:06 pm

The front door of the house, the front of the house that face to the street. Basically, we come in into the house by inside the garage, It is a door that faces the north side, entrance is garage, then laundry room, the the door inside the house with is the dinning room and living room.

danaclaudat September 2, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Use the main entrance that you USE as the wall that contains your front door and line things up from there!

Bianca Boc September 22, 2012 at 6:55 pm

If i apply the bagua on my room and the windows is in fame future area and the door on self confidence and work , its is good for prosperity? in a traight line door and window?

totembird February 5, 2013 at 11:44 pm

I live in a walk up town- house apartment and my front door opens from the smack-middle (not front-center). If I align the Bagua using the front door, two-thirds of my aparment would be missing. If I align the Bagua over the entire floor plan using the door to the building which falls in the knowledge side, then the front door to my apartment opens up from the creativity/children sector. What is the right way to read the ba gua?

danaclaudat February 8, 2013 at 12:46 am

use it room by room to start. from the entrance to each room!

BJ Jensen February 10, 2013 at 9:38 pm

I have chosen the only rooms in the basement with windows for my art studio / office . The basement floor plan is such that each room enters into the adjacent room in a circular pattern. How would I keep any energy where it’s needed?

danaclaudat February 11, 2013 at 2:37 am

I’m not sure what you mean by circular— is the space circular? the hallways? can you shoot me an image?

Lauren July 14, 2013 at 3:11 am

Hi! I live in a two level townhouse, the only entrance is upstairs, and the layout upstairs is easy to follow. There are stairs at the end of a short hall to the right (not directly opposite the entrance) that descend into the bottom level, there are balcony doors that are pretty much in line with the balcony doors, but I’ve put items between the two to stop energy from just flowing straight out. How to I apply the bagua map to the ground level? I’ve read conflicting things, some say that I need to flip the map, others have said to use the map in the same way as with the top, using the stairs as the main entrance…Can you please help? I am so confused!

Lauren July 14, 2013 at 3:25 am

Oh and I forgot to mention that the bottom level, apart from a bedroom and bathroom, which are at the opposite end to the balcony, is just one looooong rectangle, with an open kitchen to the right of the stairs. Just one big area, which would essentially be easy to apply the map to, if I could just figure out how to do that!

danaclaudat August 2, 2013 at 12:42 am

try to use the bagua room by room. its much easier!!!

zoe p July 21, 2013 at 11:37 am

i read i have to place the bagua from where my door is. (room)
but i have two doors. what do i do now?
go from the d i like more or the one i use more?
GREETS zoe

danaclaudat July 21, 2013 at 9:06 pm

the one you use more :) but also look at things from the one you like more to see how that affects the position of things… in that way you can see if, perhaps, it should be the one you can use more!

Maria Hyman September 29, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Hello Dana,

Regarding the use of the bagua individually for each room, do I align the bagua so that the bottom of the bagua is aligned to the entrance of each room?

Maria

danaclaudat October 2, 2013 at 12:45 am

yes! you got it :)

Ligia January 3, 2014 at 4:05 am

Thanks for all the comments and teachings. I enjoy reading them.

danaclaudat January 3, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Thank you Ligia! I’m so glad to hear that! Happy New Year!

Mary January 27, 2014 at 9:45 pm

I have an irregular shaped house but it becomes squared includng the gate from the garage door, should my main entry be the gate or still the front door? The front door is on left side after the gate, its like a hook or half T shape if i will not include the gated garage as part of the house for the bagua

danaclaudat January 28, 2014 at 4:00 am

if you use the garage, it would be included in the floorplan shape. and I would base your main entry on the door you use most often to actually enter your home. thais determines your experience of the space :)

Mary January 28, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Thanks so much Dana for the input! Been learning a lot just by going through your posts. So basically since the garage is used all the time and is covered with a gate, which serves as main entry in order to get to the front door of the house it shall be included on my bagua map, right?

PJ March 8, 2014 at 11:45 pm

Hi Dana! I went through your posts but I did not find an answer I am looking for. I have a regular shaped home, but my front door is on the left off my porch. Basically, rectangular house, front porch on the middle of the longer side of the house and front door on the left wall of the front porch. If I align the bagua map with my front door, only my bedrooms will be included and 2/3 of my home wouldn’t. Should I use the front wall of the house (where I am entering the porch) as a base to lay the bagua map or literally the front door? And if it is the front door, what do I do with the rest of the house that is outside the bagua map? The part that would be left out is longer than the part that would be included in the bagua map if I use the front door as base. Hope I explained it right…Thank you very much!!

danaclaudat March 9, 2014 at 3:08 am

I would use the bagua room by room in this case :)

danaclaudat March 9, 2014 at 3:09 am

And to clarify— I would start with front entrance and use the main entrance to each room from the front door as your “entry door” to each room. :)

PJ March 14, 2014 at 11:07 pm

Thank you Dana!!! Sorry for my late response. Your suggestion may be difficult to achieve though- hallway, living room and dining room do not have doors and have more than one entry/exit points…Especially dining room, which has entry on three of its walls – from hallway, kitchen and living room. Do I use the one that is closer to front door (from living room) or the one that more represent “entry”, like from the hallway? Thank you again!!!

danaclaudat March 15, 2014 at 2:48 am

Yes exactly as you describe, and also, remember that the bagua is just one tool in the feng shui bag. You can work with balancing elements, adding art and symbol, aromatherapy, yin & yang and so much more to create an awesome space :)

PJ March 15, 2014 at 6:06 pm

Thanks a lot Dana for your help!!! That is exactly what I am trying to do now :)